Portugal’s health secretary Antonio Lacerda Sales stated on Monday that there will be no fans allowed at the upcoming UEFA Champions League games in the country due to the current pandemic situation.
UEFA finalized its decision to have the final stages of the Champions League on June 17, and will be held in Lisbon from Aug. 12-23, instead of its initial plan on Istanbul.
“Regarding the public and based on the current pandemic situation, obviously not,” Sales said when asked about possible fan attendance at Champions League games.
“We don’t know how the pandemic is going to evolve and as we have done in other situations, we will take measures according to the evolution of the pandemic. I cannot anticipate the future. In this phase obviously not.”
When the announcement was made that the Champions League games would be in Portugal, UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin said no decision had been made regarding fan attendance.
Portugal currently has 42,000 plus positive with COVID-19 and around 1600 confirmed deaths.
Its domestic league resumed its games June 4, having all of it played behind closed doors.
The Champions League competition was suspended before completion of the round-of-16 in March because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The cities Porto and Guimaraes will stage the round-of-16 fixtures on August 7 – 8 in case that any of the teams that would need to host a game cannot fulfill.
Benfica’s Estadio da Luz and Sporting’s Estadio Jose Alvalade in Lisbon were chosen by UEFA to stage Champions League games from the quarterfinals onwards.