After 13 seasons leading the Houston Rockets as one of the toughest contenders in the NBA Western Conference, Daryl Morey steps down as general manager citing personal reasons and sees it as the ‘right time’.
Morey’s resignation will be effective on November 1, Rockets announced Thursday, as he will continue to assist owner Tilman Fertitta and the Rockets’ front office in finding for a new head coach.
“For me, it was just a great run,” Morey told ESPN on Thursday night in a telephone conversation that also included Fertitta. and we still have a lot update of Basketball News at here!
“Personally, the timing worked for me. My youngest son just graduated from high school, and it was just the right time to see what’s next with family and other potential things in the future. It just felt like the right time.”
After the Rockets’ being eliminated in the second-round of the Western Conference Playoffs, Morey approached Fertitta with the idea of leaving his job, and the sides quietly worked through an exit agreement to conclude his work with the organization.
Fertitta declared Morey’s job “safe” two days after the Rockets’ elimination, saying he would trust the general manager to lead the coaching search and would sign off on Morey’s selection. Fertitta thought that Morey’s decision of stepping down was due to stress being in the NBA bubble — “The bubble does funny things to you,” Fertitta said — but Morey didn’t change his stance, and the sides worked out an amicable agreement.
Fertitta said Morey warned him back in March 2019 when he signed a five-year contract extension, that this could be a year when he decided to step away because of his son’s high school graduation.
“He had always said, ‘I’m not going to be here forever,’ and, ‘At some point, I might want to go back to the East Coast,'” Fertitta said. “I didn’t think it was going to happen. I knew that this was that year, but Daryl’s been here [almost] 15 years. I was surprised, but yet I remembered the previous conversations. He’s reminded me of that a few times.”
The 48-year-old Morey helped the Houston Rockets with eight consecutive playoff appearances, and winning at least one round in the Western Conference playoffs in each of the past four years along with James Harden. However, this past season Morey was overlooked from his since-deleted tweet which said, “Fight for Freedom. Stand with Hong Kong.” That led to China pulling the NBA off its airwaves and suspending sponsorship with the league.
Morey had been the Rockets’ GM since 2007-08, made the league’s second-best regular-season record over his 13 years as general manager and 14 years with the franchise. Including this, Morey also pushed the Rockets to reach the Western Conference finals twice, and eventually losing to the Golden State Warriors in both 2015 and 2018.